The connection between CBN Tools and Cutting Parameters
1) The cutting speed has the biggest influence on the CBN tools life, but the cutting temperature has the direct
relation for the CBN tools life. Due to the CBN tools with good heat resistance, increasing the cutting temperature
properly, the CBN tools advantage will be more obvious. That is because of the CBN tools toughness could be improved
under the high temperature, therefore, the chip breakage of the CBN tools will be decreased.
2) The cutting depth has the smaller influence on the CBN tools, but the impact resistance is worse than the carbide
inserts, the CBN cutting depth mainly impact on the fracture properties.Usually the cutting depth inserts thickness, but
the Round inserts is the exception.
3) The feedrate influence on the tool life is only next to the cutting speed, the cutting thickness/revolution and the
edge strength are also influenced by the federate.
4) Usually the Rough machining use the coarse size and cermet binder; Finish machining use the fine size and
ceramic binder, which could improve the surface roughness and increase the tool life.
5) Commonly the tool life is also connected with the production tap.
6) The heat emission condition also has influence on the tool life, for continuous cutting, the cutting temperature
could be reduced by changing the tool clearance angle, using coolant, etc, then to improve the tool life.